What Credit Score Do You Need to Get the American Express Gold Card? Requirements & Approval Tips (March 2023)
Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers. Enrollment may be required for select American Express benefits and offers. Visit americanexpress.com to learn more. The content on this page is accurate as of the posting date; however, some of our partner offers may have expired.
While not technically a travel rewards credit card, the American Express® Gold Card – (Learn How to Apply Here) offers numerous benefits for frequent vacationers, especially those who love to eat out. In addition to 4x bonus point categories, it features various ways to offset the $250 annual fee (see rates & fees). I recommend pairing it with a premium travel credit card like The Platinum Card® from American Express – (Learn How to Apply Here).
This article is going to outline the minimum credit score required to get approved for the Amex Gold Card as well as other requirements and application tips.
|Key American Express Gold Card Benefits|
|– Annual Fee: $250|
– Current Welcome Bonus Offer: Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $4,000 on purchases within the first 6 months of account opening.
– 4x Points per dollar spent at Restaurants and takeout and delivery in the U.S.
– 4x Points per dollar spent at U.S. Supermarkets on up to $25,000 per year, then 1x.
– 3x Points per dollar spent on Flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
– Up to $120 Dining Credit per year split into up to $10 monthly statement credits. Valid at participating restaurants. Enrollment required.
– Up to $120 Uber Cash per year split into $10 monthly credits for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S. after adding your Gold Card to your Uber account.
– Good or Excellent Credit Score Required (670+). See below for more details.
– Terms Apply. See this card’s Rates & Fees.
Credit Scored Required For The American Express Gold Card
You should have good to excellent credit before applying for the Amex Gold Card, which we define as a score between 670-850. As with all semi-premium travel credit cards, your approval odds increase as your score goes up. While 670 is the minimum score we recommend, you should really have a score above 700 or 725. Those with a score in the 750-850 range are likely to get approved.
American Express Credit Score Guidelines
Unfortunately, American Express does not state a credit score range for the Gold Card. With that being said, our experience and research from other sources confirms many people have been approved with scores as low as 670. Depending on your credit history and other factors, you could even been approved with a score as low as 650, but your odds are not great.
While it does not post recommended credit scores for its cards, American Express does offer free credit score information via its MyCredit Guide. It is a helpful tool to use to see your credit score and report before applying for the Amex Gold.
The Vacationer Tip
Do you have excellent credit and are ready for your next travel rewards credit card? Learn How to Apply for the American Express Gold Card Here.
Improving Your Credit Score and Odds of Getting Approved for the Amex Gold
Follow these tips to improve your odds of getting approved for the American Express Gold Card.
Improve Your Credit Score
The first step in improving your credit score is knowing what it is. Use free tools like Credit Karma and American Express® MyCredit Guide to see your score. Additionally, those tools show you important factors that may be impacting your credit.
- Payment History (Major Impact) – Are you making payments on time? American Express wants to see a solid history of on-time payments. Even a single missed payment could considerably drop your score
- Credit Utilization (Major Impact) – Are you using a large percentage of your available credit? If so, American Express may see that as a red flag. Aim to keep your credit utilization ratio below 10 percent.
- Derogatory Remarks (Major Impact) – Do you have a lien or a bankruptcy on your credit report? If you do, your odds of getting approved for the Amex Gold are going to drop.
- Length and Number of Accounts – Do you have a long credit history with a variety of credit cards and loans? If you do, American Express is going to see you as more trustworthy if your score is solid.
- Recent Hard Inquires – Do you have a lot of recent hard inquires on your credit report? If you do, American Express may view that as a red flag. I recommend applying for the Amex Gold card before applying for other cards or loans.
Ultimately, you should have a solid credit score with a clean credit report. A lot of hard inquires and derogatory remarks are going to kill your chances of getting approved for the Amex Gold Card.
Have a History with American Express
Those already holding an American Express credit card may have better odds of getting approved for the Amex Gold. That is especially true if you have a history of on-time payments. Depending on what cards you have, you may even be able to upgrade to the American Express Gold Card. Unfortunately, you will not be eligible for the bonus if you upgrade from a lower card.
You May Only Hold Five American Express Cards at a Time
Those already holding five Amex cards may be out of luck. American Express only allows you to hold five of its cards at a time. If you already hold five cards, you should close one before applying for the Amex Gold. If eligible, you can also upgrade another card. Here are popular cards you may hold.
- The Platinum Card® from American Express – (Learn How to Apply Here)
- American Express® Business Gold Card – (Learn How to Apply Here)
- The Business Platinum® Card from American Express – (Learn How to Apply Here)
- Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express – (Learn How to Apply Here)
- Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express – (Learn How to Apply Here)
You Should Limit Your Total Number of Amex Applications
Many reports suggest American Express has application and approval limits. Please note, these are unofficial rules.
- 1 Card Every 5 Days – American Express will only approve you for one card every five days. That means you should not apply for another Amex Card if you were approved for one in the previous five days. If that is your situation, wait until the end of the five day period to apply for the Amex Gold card.
- 2 Cards Every 90 Days – American Express will only approve you for two cards in a 90-day period. If you have been approved for two Amex cards in the previous 90 days, you should wait to apply for the Amex Gold.
Have a Steady Income
American Express wants to know you have a solid and steady income. Do you make enough to afford monthly payments for your American Express Gold Card? Will you regularly max it out? You should have history of steady employment before applying.
Credit Cards Requiring Similar Credit Scores to the Amex Gold Card
Here are popular travel credit cards requiring similar scores to the Amex Gold.
The Platinum Card® from American Express
As a true premium travel credit card, the Amex Platinum Card pairs well with the Amex Gold. Like the American Express Gold Card, the Amex Platinum requires good to excellent credit in the 670-850 range. Ideally, your credit score is in the upper end of that range.
Since it is another American Express card, do not apply if you already hold five other Amex cards. Its annual fee is $695 (see rates & fees), but the various travel benefits make it worthwhile for frequent vacationers.
Further Reading: American Express Gold Card Vs. Amex Platinum Card.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred – (Learn How to Apply Here) also pairs well with the Amex Gold card. Its annual fee is only $95, and it features an array of travel benefits, including up to 5x points per dollar spent on travel. Like the Amex Gold, you should have good to excellent credit in the 670-850 range.
Further Reading: American Express Gold Card Vs. Chase Sapphire Preferred and Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Score Requirements.
At the minimum, your score should be 670 before applying. I recommend waiting until your score is at least 700 or 725, but your approval odds dramatically increase as your score approaches 750+.
It is fairly difficult. You need a solid credit score and history of a steady job. Make sure you do not have any liens or other derogatory marks on your credit report.
The Vacationer’s Final Thoughts
The American Express Gold Card is one of the best lifestyle credit cards available. It is perfect for those who love to travel as well as eat out and grocery shop. Before applying, check your credit score to ensure it is at least 670. Make sure there are no derogatory marks and all of your other credit card and loan payments are current. Finally, ensure you do not hold more than five American Express cards.
Editorial Disclosure: Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.
Get The Vacationer Newsletter
Get highlights of the most important news delivered to your email inbox