20 Best Ticket Websites for Booking Tours, Activities, Excursions, and Attractions in 2022
Tours, guided activities, and excursions are, for many travelers, one of the best ways to experience a new destination. Often, a local guide will take you around, show you the sights, and let you in on local-only know-how. You get more info than you might from a guidebook or travel blog. And the best part? You hardly need to do any planning. Just book your tour or activity online and you’re done. So, all that’s left on your end is to show up.
However, you do have to do the work of finding that great tour or excursion. Therefore, for that, we look to some of the travel industry’s best ticket websites. There are a lot of them out there.
Go with one of these 20 best options. That will ensure you’re purchasing tickets from reputable sellers only. (And that way, you’re not left stranded in a foreign country! You won’t be wondering where your guide’s gone off to!)
Owned by TripAdvisor, Viator is one of the more popular options for booking tours and excursions. You can find experiences and tours at a very wide range of attractions. There are an impressive number of international and national destinations.
Viator doesn’t operate its tours, though. Instead, it’s more of the middleman that connects you with the local tour operators in a given destination. That does come with a little risk. However, Viator is known for being very reputable and trustworthy. Therefore, it’s not as much of a risk as you might think.
Cancel Policy: The Viator cancel policy will differ. As such, this difference is according to the experience you book. The policy will range from free cancellation to “strict.” Under free cancellation, you get a full refund if you cancel at least 24 hours before your ticket’s start time. Under the “strict” policy, you have to cancel seven full days before your experience’s start time. If you do, you’ll get a full refund.
- Many tickets come with free cancellation.
- Viator offers 24/7 customer support.
- A Reserve Now & Pay Later feature allows you to do just that.
- This is one place where you’ll find a LOT of options.
- The “free” cancellation isn’t necessarily 100% free (time limits apply).
GetYourGuide is very similar to Viator. As such, it focuses on a lot of tours and experiences. It’s not just about straight-up attraction tickets. Unlike Viator, though, GetYourGuide isn’t just a third-party booking site. It also offers its own collection of experiences. These are called GetYourGuide Originals. These tours are more customized. Frankly, they’re better than what you might find elsewhere. When you book one of these tours, you get more flexibility in rescheduling and canceling. The tours are also capped at 25 people.
GetYourGuide offers tickets for more than 60,000 experiences around the world.
Cancel Policy: Most GetYourGuide experiences come with a 24-hour cancellation policy. This means you can cancel up to 24 hours before your ticket’s start time.
- This site offers lots of tour and experience options, all over the world.
- You can find special, GetYourGuide Original tours for an upgraded experience. These are not third-party.
- The third-party providers, however, must be legal, insured businesses, to list on the site. This may give you a little more peace of mind.
- GetYourGuide offers 24/7 customer service.
- You’ll notice that GetYourGuide Original tours are capped at 25 people. That’s intended to be … intimate? In other words, if you like small tours, you might not find them as easily here.
The Vacationer Tip
Tiqets is a good third-party option to buy tickets for specific attractions. However, it’s not a good option for booking tours. Instead, think of museums, historic sites, etcetera. Don’t expect to find customizable, one-on-one tours or bookable airport transfers here.
Furthermore, Tiqets is a good option if you want to browse various attractions in one destination and do all of your ticket bookings in one place. (Versus going to each attraction’s website individually and booking that way.)
Cancel Policy: When you purchase a ticket through Tiqets, you’ll have the option to choose a “free cancellation” ticket. If you book this, you’ll have free cancellation up to midnight the day before your reserved ticket.
- Easily book all of your attraction tickets for one destination in one place.
- Access all of your tickets from your phone.
- Enjoy flexible cancellation that a particular attraction might not otherwise offer.
- Tiqets offers 24/7 customer support.
- You can buy some tickets without set dates. This lets you be more flexible with your travel itinerary.
- Tiqets only really offers tickets in major international destinations.
- For free cancellation, you have to choose the “free cancellation” option. This is available when making your ticket purchase.
Third-party ticket provider StubHub focuses on events. As such, this can be great if you’re looking to attend a concert, theatrical show, or sports game. However, do note that StubHub sells tickets from existing ticket holders. The tickets are not directly from the venue or event. Accordingly, this comes with its pros and cons. On one hand, you might pay more for a particularly in-demand event. A ticket holder might be attempting to flip their ticket for a profit. On the other hand, if someone’s desperate to sell a ticket they don’t plan on using, you could get your ticket for a great deal.
Cancel Policy: You cannot cancel, or receive a refund on, a transaction on StubHub once it’s been completed. In response, the website recommends reselling your ticket on the site if you decide you no longer want or need it.
- You can sometimes snag great deals on StubHub. You can likewise find tickets to sold-out events.
- All ticket sellers are verified. You’re not relying on unscrupulous scalpers.
- There are no refunds and no cancellations.
We know what you’re thinking. “TripAdvisor? Attractions? You told me that Viator sold tickets for TripAdvisor!”
And while that’s true, TripAdvisor also has its own, separate third-party ticket marketplace. It operates very similarly to Viator. But, it comes with all the benefits of TripAdvisor. When you view an available activity on TripAdvisor Attractions, you’ll see all the need-to-know info about an attraction or tour, plus reviews. If you decide you want to book something, you can do so in literally a matter of seconds.
Cancel Policy: Most tickets allow for a full refund up to 24 hours ahead of your experience.
- Firstly, there are lots of options to choose from, in a lot of destinations, even small ones.
- Secondly, you can get free cancellation in most cases.
- Thirdly, you’ll see that most listings include reviews and substantial info on any attraction you’re considering.
- TripAdvisor Attractions does lump in non-ticketed attractions with its ticketed attractions. Things can get confusing.
You likely know Expedia as the place to go for booking flights and hotel rooms. However, did you know that Expedia also offers tour booking and event tickets?
Unfortunately, the third-party provider’s activities section isn’t quite as searcher-friendly as you might hope. This is because everything is grouped by destination, not necessarily tour types.
Additionally, you won’t find many experiences in small destinations on offer. However, what you will find is very affordable. In fact, costs are as low as $7 per ticket in some cases.
Cancel policy: Cancellation policies differ according to the activity you book. As such, some activities offer free cancellation within a certain period. However, some charge you an additional fee for canceling.
- Find cheap experiences in mid-size and large destinations.
- Browse for activities at the same time you book your flight and hotel.
- You won’t find attractions in many small destinations.
- The booking platform (at least where activities are concerned) isn’t that user-friendly.
Similar to Expedia, Kayak also offers “things to do” tickets. This is in addition to the flights, hotel rooms, car rentals, and train and bus tickets the site offers.
Likewise, Kayak does offer more experiences in off-the-beaten-path destinations. You can search for available experiences based on a range of factors. Beyond just location, you can also look for experiences based on accessibility and safety measures.
However, since the travel aggregator is a third-party ticket provider, it doesn’t always help you with the booking side of things. For booking an experience, you’ll be redirected to whatever individual tour provider is offering the tour. Once you’re there, you can find more information. Sometimes, though, that information differs from what Kayak provides.
Cancel policy: Kayak only points you to experience and tour operators. As such, it does not help you book. Because of this, the cancellation policy will entirely depend on the individual provider.
- You can search for a wide variety of experiences in a wide variety of destinations.
- You can look for things to do at the same time as you book the rest of your travel.
- You can’t book your experience directly on Kayak. You have to book elsewhere.
Owned by Expedia, Travelocity similarly offers an “Activities” booking feature.
Many of the above ticket booking platforms allow you to browse through a range of options, to get inspiration. You don’t need to pick a destination. Travelocity, however, does force you to pick where you’re going, as well as dates. This is a bit limiting. That’s especially the case if you’re in the middle of planning your trip and are pretty flexible.
Still, if you pick your date and city, you’ll find … That you’re led to a booking page that’s almost identical to what Expedia offers on its Activities page. You’ll find the same tours and the same prices. Using one or the other all comes down to whether you prefer Travelocity or Expedia.
Cancel policy: Just like with Expedia, cancellation policies differ. The difference is according to the activity you book. Because of this, some activities offer free cancellation within a certain period. Some, though, do charge you an additional fee for canceling.
- You can find an array of cheap activities and tours in top travel destinations.
- You won’t find many available tours or activities in lesser-known destinations.
Likewise, Orbitz, another Expedia-owned travel aggregator, features an identical setup. You pick where you’re going and the dates you’ll be there. Orbitz will show you the same tour options in the same format. You’ll also see the same search functionality.
So, again, whether you choose to use Orbitz, Expedia, or Travelocity, you’re going to have the same experience across all three platforms. The only reason why you might choose one over the others is if you’ve already booked other parts of your travel with one of them. Then, it makes sense to continue booking your experiences with that platform. That way, you have all of your travel details in one place.
Cancel Policy: Cancellation policies differ according to the activity you book. Some activities offer free cancellation within a certain period. Some charge you an additional fee for canceling.
- You can find an array of cheap activities and tours in top travel destinations.
- Additionally, if you’ve already booked your flights and hotel with Orbitz, booking your activities here will keep things streamlined.
- You’re out of luck finding something to do unless you’re staying in a known travel destination.
You can probably take a quick look at this platform’s name and guess exactly what it specializes in. Musement focuses on museums, of course. Then, it also offers tours and tickets to attractions like theme parks. You can choose between open tickets and set time tickets, depending on the attraction. Some tours even include transportation services.
Cancel Policy: Musement is a third-party booking platform. Cancellation policies are left up to the individual service provider.
- Find thousands of experiences in top destinations all around the world.
- Custom tours are available.
- Customer service is available 24/7.
- Many experiences are available in multiple languages. Some include other fun perks like skip-the-line.
- Musement requires you to print your tickets. This isn’t exactly convenient while traveling.
Civitatis was originally founded as a tour and experiences provider for Spanish-speaking travelers. However, now, you can find a range of experiences available.
This is a third-party platform.
Depending on where you are in the world, you’ll notice that the platform pushes experiences in your supposed language. This makes the platform a good option for those who travel abroad quite frequently. More specifically, it’s good if you need experiences in a certain language.
The platform mostly specializes in typical tourist activities in major international destinations. One cool feature, though? You’ll find free tours and activities. These are in addition to the paid options.
Cancel Policy: The cancellation policy will differ according to the individual tour or activity provider.
- Find activities in your language in major destinations.
- Browse and book free tours and activities.
- You won’t find that many options in smaller destinations. You also won’t find many off-the-beaten-path activities.
Go to the Ticketbar website. There, you’ll automatically notice a difference between this booking platform and some of the other options on this list. Ticketbar is admittedly a little outdated. However, with its European focus, you can find a wealth of activities in smaller European destinations. Think from Andalusia to Delft. You might not find these on the bigger, international platforms.
Looking for private tours, combo tickets, attraction tickets, nightlife experiences, or airport transfers? They’re all available via this third-party seller. Many are available for a discount.
Cancel Policy: The cancellation policy will differ. The difference is according to the experience you book.
- Find tours and discounted tickets in both large and small European destinations.
- The website is a little clunky. There’s not a ton of information on it. Just in the planning stages of your trip? You might not find all the info you need here, before booking.
Want to compare and contrast various tours and travel activities on one platform? TourScanner is a good place to go. The travel aggregator compiles tour and activity tickets. It pulls the available options from more than 30 different booking sites. From there, you can pick the best activity and the best price for your trip.
TourScanner is a third-party platform. This means you do have to book your activity directly with the provider, not TourScanner. You’ll also be subject to their cancellation policies and their rules. TourScanner is just the place to go for your research and window shopping.
Cancel Policy: The cancellation policy will differ according to the experience you book. As a result, the policy will be the provider’s cancellation policy, not TourScanner’s.
- Find activities and tickets from more than 30 other sites, in one spot.
- You can’t book with TourScanner directly.
TourRadar is a great place to go if you’re looking specifically for multi-day, guided tours. You can browse tour options based on location and dates. You can also browse by tour types. Tour type options include themed experiences such as trekking or cultural, or even river cruises. There are tours available all over the world. You’ll likewise find frequent tour sales and private tours available.
TourRadar is a third-party platform. However, it does work with a variety of operators who are vetted and well-reviewed.
Cancel Policy: The cancel policy will differ according to the tour provider you book with.
- Find multi-day tours all over the world. Additionally, many are from vetted tour providers.
- You’ll get access to 24/7 customer service. Furthermore, the customer service has been highly reviewed as some of the best in the travel biz.
- Enjoy access to frequent tour sales and a best price guarantee.
- If you’re not looking for a multi-day experience, go elsewhere.
15. Klook Travel
Originally started in Asia, Klook Travel now offers a growing number of experiences and travel services. They are available in a range of worldwide destinations. Go beyond just booking tours and experiences. Klook also allows you to purchase car rentals, train tickets, airport transfers, and even WiFi and SIM cards.
In addition to the website, there’s also an incredibly convenient Klook app.
Cancel Policy: The cancel policy differs according to what experience you book. Many offer free cancellation within a certain timeframe. That might be 48 hours ahead of your experience or 72 hours ahead of your experience.
- Klook offers the ability to book way more than just experiences. The platform probably has the greatest variety of offerings out of any of the platforms on our list.
- The Klook app makes booking and managing your travel even easier.
- You’ll mostly find offerings in Asia and Europe. There is, though, a growing number of activities in major international destinations elsewhere.
If you prefer a more hands-on approach, WithLocals might be one of the better travel experiences for you. With hosts in more than 100 worldwide cities, WithLocals provides experiences and tours led and hosted by locals. The experiences and tours are always private, too. Hosts focus on off-the-beaten-path, personalized experiences. It’s not about the tourist traps. Think of a private food tour in Amsterdam or a neighborhood tour of Paris’s Montmartre.
Cancel Policy: You can reschedule your experience, multiple times, up to the day of your experience. You can cancel entirely for free and receive a 100% refund up to seven days before your experience.
- Enjoy private, personalized tours and off-the-beaten-path experiences.
- Tours are only available in limited cities and the cancellation policy is a bit strict.
Third-party platform Thirllophilia will connect you with more than 12,000 activities. These are from more than 5,000 suppliers in more than 125 destinations. However, it is worth noting that the site heavily focuses on Asian countries. So, this is a great place to go to find experiences if you’re heading to that side of the planet. It’s not so great if you’re traveling elsewhere.
Thrillophilia partners with an admirable range of reputable providers. These might include national tourist boards or Uber, Airbnb, or Marriott. In addition to booking activities and tours, the platform also gives you the option to book rentals and staycations. It also offers a handy gifting feature.
Cancel policy: All purchases and reservations are final and non-refundable. This is according to Thrillophilia’s terms and conditions.
- Find a huge number of activities and experiences in Asian countries.
- This is one of the only tour and experience-booking platforms where you can gift an experience to a fellow traveler.
- In addition to booking experiences, you can also book homestays and rentals.
- You won’t find many experience options outside of Asia.
- The cancel policy is unforgiving, to say the least.
Manawa by Adrenaline Hunter is a niche third-party provider. But, if you’re looking for its particular niche, you’re in luck. This is your place to go to book high-energy, intense, extreme activities. Think shark diving, skydiving, caving, or heliskiing.
Of course, not everything is quite that extreme. You can also find more low-key adventures, like sailing or fat biking. However, in general, everything will be an active adventure. There are more than 5,000 bookable experiences in destinations all over the globe.
Cancel policy: The cancel policy ranges from super-flexible to super-strict, depending on what you book. If your activity has the “super-flexible” policy, you can cancel up to 24 hours before your activity and get a full refund. If your activity has the “super-strict” policy, you must cancel 90 days in advance of your activity to get a full refund. If you cancel less than 30 days in advance of your activity, you’ll receive no refund. Any cancellations between 30 and 90 days will warrant refunds in varying amounts.
- Find niche adventure experiences all over the world.
- If you’re not into this niche, you’re not going to find much of interest.
If you already use Airbnb for booking your travel accommodations, you might want to check out the platform’s various bookable experiences. You can book not only local-hosted experiences in a travel destination but also online experiences if you want to go the virtual route.
Experiences range vastly in terms of both price and subject matter. From goat cuddling to sailing, food tours to cycling tours, you’ll find a bit of it all. Tours and experiences are either private or in small groups. The focus is often on things you wouldn’t be able to do on your own, as a traveler in a new destination.
Cancel policy: To cancel your experience and get a refund, you have to go through your experience host to request a refund. If they do not grant a refund or if they do not grant a refund in an amount to your satisfaction, you’ll have to submit a claim to Airbnb.
- Many travelers already have experience booking accommodations with Airbnb, so booking an experience is a comfortable next step. This is especially the case if you’re wary of working with a provider that you may not have heard of before.
- You’ll find unique tour and activity options, led by locals, in small or private settings.
- Canceling your experience can be a really big hassle that will depend on your host and how agreeable they may or may not be.
20. Atlas Obscura
You know Atlas Obscura. It’s the place to go for all your random, weird, travel facts and tidbits. But this publication also offers guided trips, with multi-day tours focusing on a range of topics, from arts and culture to wildlife and nature.
Each trip is carefully crafted to zoom in on what makes a destination special. Each brings in the local history and culture as much as possible, so you go deeper than just the surface-level tourist stuff.
Trips are conducted in English only and groups are kept small. A lot of the people who participate in the trips are solo travelers. The trips are a good fit for those who maybe want to explore with others, but who maybe don’t have anyone in their lives right now who’s up for an adventure.
Cancel Policy: You can cancel without penalty within seven days of booking, up until your final payment for the trip’s due date. After that final payment is made, you’ll have to pay a cancellation fee.
- Enjoy small group travel tours led by a trusted travel publication.
- Tours are kept as sustainable as possible.
- You can easily make your entire trip one of these multi-day tours, for easier travel with less planning on your end.
- These tours are mostly designed with younger, solo travelers in mind. They’re not a suitable option for families.
- The tours can be on the pricier side, especially if you consider yourself a budget traveler.
When planning your trip, if you already know you want to visit a certain attraction — like a museum or theme park — booking your tickets in advance can save you time during your trip. (Because who wants to wait around in line when there’s travel fun to be had?)
Additionally, when you book with one of the above platforms, you can often save money by booking the best deals. You’ll also get to see the full range of options available to you, including some you may not have even known existed!
If you hate itinerary planning and just want to show up at a destination and have a great time, a multi-day tour may be perfect for you. The pros do all the work, so you have a unique and enjoyable experience, without the hassle of researching and booking everything on your own. Additionally, if you’re a solo traveler or a couple or a few friends who like to meet other travelers on your journeys, you’ll enjoy the small group environment a multi-day tour often provides.
If you like to go at your own pace, without any strict timelines or itineraries, you might not enjoy the structure of a multi-day travel tour. Likewise, if you don’t care about getting to know fellow travelers and like to go it alone, you may find the multi-day tour environment annoying. Additionally, some travelers just love all the planning and research leading up to a trip. If that’s you, you may have more fun planning your journey on your own.
Get The Vacationer Newsletter
Get highlights of the most important news delivered to your email inbox