CLEAR Expedited Airport & Stadium Security Program 2023 – Cost & Locations
Even if you have TSA PreCheck, the security line to reach the agent who checks your ID and boarding pass can be very long. If you are not a PreCheck member, you may have to deal with an even longer line as well as go through the traditional security screening area. CLEAR® is a program designed for both PreCheck and non-PreCheck travelers to get to the actual screening area faster.
You still have to go through airport security, but the time spent waiting in line should be drastically reduced. Additionally, CLEAR can help you get through security much more quickly at various sports stadiums and arenas.
What is the CLEAR Expedited Airport Security Program?
CLEAR uses biometrics (your eyes and fingerprints) to verify your identity via an encrypted code. Getting through airport security involves two steps — verifying your identity and the actual physical security screening. CLEAR helps with the first step, which is often the reason going through security can take so long.
Instead of waiting in the regular line and showing the TSA agent your physical ID and boarding pass, you simply use the CLEAR pod (or kiosk) via a CLEAR lane to verify your identity. After verifying your identity, a CLEAR employee will escort you to the actual security screening area, whether it be the PreCheck one or the traditional one.
Is CLEAR Run By The Government and Safe to Use?
Unlike TSA PreCheck, which is run by the Transportation Security Administration, and Global Entry, which is run by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), CLEAR is run by a private company. There is no background check, and approval is fast and easy for those eligible.
Its website states it is fully committed to protecting members’ information as well as never selling it or renting it. Additionally, it states its technology is SAFETY Act certified by the Department of Homeland Security. Information collected is stated to be only used to provide the service.
How Much Does Clear Cost and is It Worth It?
CLEAR Standard costs $189 per year for a membership, but you can save through various credit cards and airline loyalty programs. This includes access to CLEAR lanes and pods at more than 50 airports, stadiums, and arenas. Your membership also allows you to add as many as three family members or friends to your account for $50 per year each. Any children under 18 can use CLEAR lanes for free when they are with you.
CLEAR Sports is free but only allows access to CLEAR lanes at sports stadiums. As noted above, this is also included in your CLEAR Standard membership. With a CLEAR Sports membership, you can bring one other person through the special lanes with you.
Verified students can enroll in CLEAR for only $60 per year for four years. That is a savings of $696 from the usual price for four years. You will need to register with a school email address and a valid student ID. You will also have to enter the name of your college or university. Be aware, a third-party service called SheerID will receive your personal information to verify it. Students can enroll here.
CLEAR regularly offers coupon codes to save money on your annual membership. We will share updated offers here. Please note, no offers are currently available.
The Vacationer Tip
There are a variety of different ways to save on a CLEAR membership. Check the latest coupons and see if your rewards status for Delta and United Airlines gives you a special discount.
Credit Cards Offering Free and Discounted CLEAR Memberships
A variety of travel-focused credit cards provide free and discounted CLEAR memberships. Simply pay for your CLEAR membership with your credit card to enjoy the savings.
Credit Cards Offering Free Membership ($189 Yearly Credit)
Currently, only three credit cards offer complimentary CLEAR memberships.
- The Business Platinum Card® From American Express® – $189 Yearly Credit ($695 annual fee – Rates & Fees)
- The Platinum Card® from American Express® – $189 Yearly Credit ($695 annual fee – Rates & Fees)
- Centurion Card from American Express – Complimentary memberships for the cardholder and up to three family members.
For Platinum Card and Business Platinum cardholders, the $189 credit should minimally cover you and up to $10 off a membership for a friend or a family member. General Delta SkyMiles members and general United MileagePlus members pay $179 annually for CLEAR.
Anyone can become a general Delta SkyMiles member and a general United MileagePlus member for free, and there is no status to earn. I recommend using one of those memberships when signing up for CLEAR. That leaves you with $10 left ($189 – $179) on your yearly credit, and it is only $50 per year to add a friend or family member to your CLEAR account.
Credit Cards Offering Reduced Memberships (up to $100 yearly credit)
The following American Express credit cards offer annual credits for CLEAR memberships.
- American Express® Green Card – $189 Yearly Credit ($150 annual card fee)
The following Delta credit cards offer CLEAR at a discounted rate of $109 annually.
- Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card – ($550 annual fee)
- Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card – (no annual fee)
- Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card – ($0 annual fee first year then $99)
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card – ($250 annual fee)
- Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business Card – ($250 annual fee)
The following United credit cards offer CLEAR at a discounted rate of $109 annually.
- United Explorer Card
- United Quest Card
- United Gateway Card
- United Club Infinite Card
- United Business Card
Special Rates for Partners
Members of select rewards programs from Delta and United Airlines receive special rates on their membership.
Delta SkyMiles Members
New CLEAR members can enroll here. You will need your SkyMiles account number. Existing members should add their SkyMiles account number to their current CLEAR account. The discounted rate will be applied for the next renewal.
- Diamond Medallion & 360 Members – Free Membership
- Platinum, Gold, and Silver Medallion Members – $149/annually
- Delta SkyMiles American Express Card Members (as detailed above) – $149/annually
- General SkyMiles Members – $179/annually
As you can see, Diamond Medallion & 360 Members save $189 per year. Platinum, Gold, and Silver Medallion Members as well as Delta SkyMiles American Express Card Members save $40 per year. Finally, General SkyMiles Members save $10 per year.
United Airlines MileagePlus Members
New CLEAR members can enroll here. You will need your MileagePlus account number. Existing members should add their MileagePlus account number to their current CLEAR account. The discount rate will be applied for the next renewal.
- Premier 1K Members – Free Membership
- Platinum, Gold, and Silver Premier Members – $149/annually
- United U.S. Credit Cardmembers (as detailed above) – $149/annually
- General MileagePlus Members – $179/annually
The discounts offered to United Airlines MileagePlus members are very similar to what Delta SkyMiles members are receiving. Premier 1K members get their membership for free, which saves them $189 per year. Platinum, Gold, and Silver Premier Members as well as United U.S. Credit Cardmembers pay $149 annually, which saves them $40 per year. General MileagePlus Members pay $179 annually, which saves them $10 per year.
Who Can Join?
All U.S. citizens and U.S. lawful permanent residents who are 18 and older can join. You must have one of the following valid and unexpired forms of identification to be eligible.
- U.S. Driver’s License,
- U.S. Passport or Passport Card
- U.S. Permanent Resident Card
- State Issued ID
- United States Military ID
- Global Entry Card
By May 7, 2025, you will need a REAL ID to use CLEAR. Until that time, you can still enroll and use the service with the forms of ID listed above.
As previously mentioned, you can add up to three family members or friends with a family plan for $50 per year for each person. Every person you add must also be 18 or older and have one of the accepted forms of identification. The good news is anyone on your family plan does not have to be with you when using CLEAR lanes at airports and stadiums.
How Do I Join CLEAR
Enrolling in CLEAR is simple and can be done online in about five minutes. First, decide if you want to enroll in CLEAR Standard or CLEAR Sports. As a reminder, CLEAR Sports comes with a CLEAR Standard membership.
Go to CLEAR’s enrollment page. Enter your first and last name, email address, zip code, and date of birth.
Hit continue, and you will see the “Plan and Payment” section. Here, you have the option to add up to three people to your family plan for $50 per year per person. If you do not add any a friend or family member, you will owe $189 for a one-year membership. You can pay via credit card or debit card. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover are all accepted.
After payment, you will have to finish your application at one of CLEAR’s over 50 locations. You do not need an appointment to complete your enrollment, and it should only take a few minutes. Bring a valid form of identification and expect to answer a few questions to verify your identity.
Your biometrics will be linked to your account, and that includes your fingerprints and pictures of your eyes. If you did not pre-enroll online before your in-person meeting, you should also bring a valid form of payment.
Joining CLEAR Sports is similar to the process outlined for the standard version. Start by going to the special Sports enrollment page. Enter your first and last name, email address, zip code, and date of birth
As CLEAR Sports is free, you will click the continue button in the Sports Membership section showing a $0 per month charge. After completing your enrollment, you still have to complete the process in-person at one of CLEAR’s stadium locations.
How Do I Use CLEAR
Using CLEAR at airports and sports stadiums is a straightforward process.
1. Find the special CLEAR Lane. You can generally find it near the traditional TSA security line
2. A representative will assist you in finding an open pod (aka a kiosk) where you will scan your boarding pass and biometrics to verify your identity.
3. After your identity is verified and linked to your boarding pass, the CLEAR representative will escort you to the front of the line for the actual physical screening. Remember, you no longer have to check in with the TSA agent and show them a physical copy of your identification or boarding pass.
4. If you have TSA PreCheck, the representative will escort you to the PreCheck screening area. If you do not, they will take you to the traditional screening area. You will still have to still go through the body scanner and remove your shoes, belt, liquids bag, laptop, and jacket.
1. Find the CLEAR lane at the entrance of the stadium or arena.
2. Scan your finger and allow the machine to read your eyes.
3. After your identity is verified, you will be free to bypass the normal, long line and enter the stadium or arena.
4. If you are in an eligible stadium, you can also use CLEAR Concessions. This allows you to use your biometrics to purchase food and drinks without having to use a credit card or cash. Currently, this is only available at Century Link Field in Seattle, Citi Field in New York, and T-Mobile Park in Seattle.
CLEAR is located at more than 65 airports, sports stadiums, and arenas as of May 2020. We will update this list as more locations are added.
- Atlanta – Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
- Austin – Austin–Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
- Baltimore – Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
- Birmingham – Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (BHM)
- Boston – Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
- Chicago – O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
- Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
- Cincinnati – Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG)
- Cleveland – Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE)
- Dallas – Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
- Dallas – Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL)
- Denver – Denver International Airport (DEN)
- Detroit – Detroit Metro Airport (DTW)
- Fort Lauderdale – Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
- Houston – George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
- Houston – William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
- Las Vegas – McCarran International Airport (LAS)
- Los Angeles – Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Miami – Miami International Airport (MIA)
- Minneapolis – Minneapolis−Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
- Nashville – Nashville International Airport (BNA)
- New Orleans – Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport (MSY)
- New York – John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
- New York – LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
- New York – Westchester County Airport (HPN)
- Newark – Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
- Oakland – Oakland International Airport (OAK)
- Orlando – Orlando International Airport (MCO)
- Phoenix – Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
- Salt Lake City – Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
- San Antonio – San Antonio International Airport (SAT)
- San Francisco – San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- San Jose – Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)
- Seattle – Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
- St. Louis – St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL)
- Washington D.C. – Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- Washington D.C. – Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)
- Dallas – Globe Life Park in Arlington
- Denver – Coors Field
- New York – Citi Field
- New York – Madison Square Garden
- New York – Yankee Stadium
- San Antonio – AT&T Center
- San Francisco – Oracle Park
- San Jose – Earthquakes Stadium
The Vacationer Tip
You should only get a CLEAR Standard membership if you see yourself frequenting the list of above airports often. If only the stadiums and venues are practical for you, go with the free CLEAR Sports membership.
CLEAR Compared to Other Airport “Products”
CLEAR joins TSA PreCheck, Global Entry, and Mobile Passport, as a collection of airports products that may seem confusing. While they may all seem similar, CLEAR is actually much different than the others.
CLEAR vs. TSA PreCheck
As previously detailed, CLEAR actually complements TSA PreCheck. Instead of waiting in the PreCheck line to reach the TSA agent, CLEAR takes you right to the security screening area. While PreCheck lines are usually much shorter than traditional ones, they can still be rather long at some airports. Stacking CLEAR with PreCheck is going to get you through security extremely quickly on most occasions.
CLEAR vs. Global Entry
CLEAR and Global Entry do two completely different things, but you can still be members of both programs. Global Entry expedites you through customs when returning to the United States. CLEAR simply helps you reach the security screening area quicker when flying domestically. Global Entry includes TSA PreCheck, so you can use that to better your CLEAR experience.
CLEAR vs. Mobile Passport App
Mobile Passport is similar to Global Entry in the sense it helps expedite entry through customs when returning to the United States. It does not include TSA PreCheck, however. While CLEAR and Mobile Passport are both powerful tools, they are not used together.
CLEAR Members Are Never Excluded
As a CLEAR member, you will always be able to take advantage of the service. That means using the pods and verifying your identity using your biometrics.
TSA PreCheck and Global Entry members may sometimes be excluded for unknown reasons from using the service. This may involve additional questions and further screening. Despite the higher cost, CLEAR will not exclude you. Additionally, TSA PreCheck sometimes grant privileges to nonmembers. Only CLEAR members are eligible to use the service.
Yes. Certain memberships and status levels include free memberships.
– United Premier 1K & Global Services
– Delta Diamond Medallion & 360°
Additionally, certain credit cards like the Amex Platinum card offer cardholders $189 in CLEAR credits per year.
Yes, only members may use the special lanes and pods.
No, your ID is verified using your biometrics (fingerprints and eyes).
No, a background check is not required to become a CLEAR member.
No, both services can be used together. In fact, we recommend stacking them for an even faster experience.
No, it will simply help you get to the screening area faster without having to show the TSA agent your ID.
The CLEAR Pass is a Mobile Passport control app. It is a free app allowing you to expedite entry through customs when returning to the United States.
The Vacationer’s Final Thoughts
For the frequent traveler, CLEAR has a ton of value. While the annual price of $189 is steep, there are various ways to save money on it. If you only travel a few times per year, the cost may be hard to justify.
Featured Image by clearme.com
Get The Vacationer Newsletter
Get highlights of the most important news delivered to your email inbox